National Register Nominations
Permanent URI for this collection
Browsing National Register Nominations by Title
Results Per Page
ItemMarble Industry of East Tennessee, Ca. 1838-1963: Multiple Property Nomination(Center for Historic Preservation, Middle Tennessee State University, 2013-12-02) West, Carroll Van ; Knowles, Susan W.This Multiple Property Submission is based in part on a historic architectural and cultural resources survey conducted during 2012-2013 by Carroll Van West, architectural historian, and Susan W. Knowles, public historian. The associated nomination includes Geo-referencing and assessments on the following historic contexts: The Discovery of East Tennessee Marble, 1838-150; Railroads and the Marketing of East Tennessee Marble, 1850-1890; East Tennessee Marble and Tennessee's Industrial Era, 1890-1940; Decline and Transformation in the East Tennessee Marble Industry, 1940-1963
ItemNational Register of Historic Places: Mead Marble Quarry(Center for Historic Preservation, Middle Tennessee State University, 2013) Knowles, Susan W. ; Simpson, Lydia ; Sirna, AngelaAs described in the Multiple Property Submission, “Marble Industry of East Tennessee, ca. 1838-1963,” the marble industry was once an important sector of the regional economy. The Mead Marble Quarry stands as an example of industrial production and transportation in the East Tennessee marble industry during its greatest period of national significance (1890-1940). The pattern of development at this early quarrying site, the first known opening for the extraction of marble on the south side of the French Broad River, served as a prototype for the growth of the industry in the area. The East Tennessee marble industry is nationally significant for its contributions in building materials use in civic architecture.
ItemNational Register of Historic Places: RCA Victor Studios Building(Center for Historic Preservation, Middle Tennessee State University, 2015-01-02) West, Carroll VanThe RCA Victor Studios Building, at 30 Music Square West, Nashville, Davidson County, Tennessee, is eligible for listing in the National Register of Historic Places under Criterion A for its exceptional significance in the city’s history of recorded music, music industry administration and popular culture. Built and designed 1964-1965 by the W. B. Cambron firm in Nashville with studio engineering and design by Alan Stevens and John E. Volkmann of RCA Victor, New York City, it was the first “Music Row” building constructed to be both a major international recording studio and to provide offices for a major corporation and associated businesses and organizations of the fledgling Nashville music industry. As such, it was the first recording company corporate landmark on Music Row, soon to be followed by many other key studio buildings such as those for Columbia and Monument records built immediately afterward. Since its opening in 1965, it has since hosted music recording sessions as well as served as offices for recording artists, music publishing firms, and record companies in Nashville. The property’s period of significance for this nomination is 1965 to 1977 when RCA shut down the studio and sold it to Owen Bradley and partners to be operated independently as what became known as Music City Music Hall. Its planning, construction and recording and music industry administration during this period of significance coincided with and helped to shape two significant eras in the country music history. First is the flowering of the “Nashville Sound” from 1965 to 1972 under the guidance of Music Row founder and RCA executive Chet Atkins. The second era, 1972-1977, is associated with the administration of Jerry Bradley, the son of legendary producer Owen Bradley and hand-picked by Atkins to maintain RCA’s position in country music. Bradley did so through the “Outlaw” movement, including the release of the highly influential album Wanted! The Outlaws (1976).
ItemNational Register of Historic Places: Ross Marble Quarry(Center for Historic Preservation, Middle Tennessee State University, 2013) Knowles, Susan W. ; Simpson, Lydia ; Sirna, AngelaAs described in the Multiple Property Submission, “Marble Industry of East Tennessee, ca. 1838-1963,” the marble industry was once an important sector of the regional economy. By the early 1850s, the varicolored marble quarried in East Tennessee began to be sought by architects and patrons for public buildings, such as state houses, court houses, and custom houses, after it was chosen for the interiors of the Tennessee State Capitol and the United States Capitol “Extensions.” The Ross Marble Quarry contributed to the second phase of industry growth, in which the modern marble industry developed primarily in the Knoxville area. The quarries developed by John M. Ross provided marble for two exemplary museum buildings: the Morgan Library (1906) and the National Gallery of Art (1941).
ItemNational Register of Historic Places: The Sullivan Jackson House, Selma, Alabama(Center for Historic Preservation, Middle Tennessee State University, 2013-02-05) West, Carroll VanThe Sullivan Jackson House is a nationally significant landmark of the Civil Rights Movement in Selma, Alabama. Dr. Sullivan Jackson and his wife Richie Jean Jackson were important local leaders. The house served as a headquarters for the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., in Selma during the momentous events of 1965. Fictional scenes from the house's history are featured in the new movie, Selma (2014).
ItemThe Selma Civil Rights Movement: Multiple Property Nomination(Center for Historic Preservation, Middle Tennessee State University, 2013-04-25) West, Carroll Van ; Clawson, Amber ; French, Jessica ; Gautreau, AbigailThe Selma Civil Rights Movement multiple property nomination reviews the history of civil rights activism in Selma from 1865 to 1973 and includes an assessment of extant historic buildings associated with that study.